I can be a bit of a tech junkie. I have a lot of apps on my phone, many of which are not even for my kids.
I also have a lot of websites I frequent when I write. Here’s my current best-of list.
1. Songza (free app / website): Tired of your own playlists? Let a music concierge on Songza help find one for you according to what time of day it is and what mood you’re in.
2. CBC Music (website): Quirky and fun and awesome. If you want to know a lot of the music I’ve purchased this year, check out CBC Music’s Best of R2 2012 on the sidebar.
3. Rainy Mood (website): Just click over to the site and you get rain. I love layering the sound of rain and thunder over whatever music I’m listening to while writing. Cozy and delightful.
4. Nametrix (free app): This app is designed for parents who are researching baby names, but it’s great for writers. Find out if “Mason” is more likely to be the name of a stripper or a stockbroker, if Marsha is more likely to be a Democrat or a Republican, and which years particular names peaked in popularity.
6. Next Issue ($14.99/month for iPad app — free trial for a month): It seems expensive, but if you read magazines and have an iPad, it’s a deal. I get a lot of ideas for blog posts and articles from reading magazines, and there are SO MANY great titles on this app that I’m in awe. (Note: it’s currently available in the US only, but is coming to Canada soon!)
What apps or music or websites have helped your writing lately?