Help for Writing Goals

We’re Baaack! The Wordbitches are back for another year of writing craziness. We hope you come along for the ride. Last January we each started off listing our goals for the year. I’m pretty sure the other wordbitches made their goals. Those… those bitches. I struggled with mine.

I soooo need this for my morning tea!

I don’t know about the rest of you but I am always making goals. Exercise goals, cooking goals, family goals and yes, of course, writing goals. These goals are usually accompanied by lists of schedules and plans on how to accomplish them. My goals are made with the best of intentions. I want to get the Mother-of-the-Year Award, write a bestselling trilogy that pulls Oprah out of retirement for one more bookclub, become a gourmet chef who guest stars on Jaime Oliver’s show, go to the Olympics for badminton (a sport I started one year ago), conduct ground breaking experiments on the space station, and become a yoga master (that is like a jedi master, right?).

*shakes head* Yes, I clearly have a problem with my goals. And for me the New Year is another excuse to make new goals. (I seem to be addicted to making them, not so much with keeping them, but that’s for another blog.)

To help me set up some realistic goals for my writing, I scoured the net for articles on the subject. If like me you haven’t quite firmed up your writing goals for the year, or are unsure about what to strive for I’ve got a list of links that might help you out.

2012 and Planning for Success in the New Year by the Amazing Kristen Lamb

My Truths for 2012 by Elena over on her personal blog Don’t Forget to Breath

Why Setting Writing Goals for 2012 Isn’t Enough by Suzannah Freeman at Write It Sideways

By Guest Author Shawntelle Madison: A New Year: A New Start to Write over on Janice Hardy’s blog The Other Side of the Story

A Writer’s Pre-Flight Checklist is a great tool to use before you start that new story. It’s over at Adventures in YA and Children’s Publishing

25 Things Writers Should Stop Doing A fantastic post whether you’re making goals or not. By Chuck Wendig over at Terrible Minds

If you tell me your writing goals, I might tell you mine. As long as you promise not to laugh…  ;)

About Trish Loye

Trish is a wannabe astronaut disguised as a stay-at-home mom who drinks too much tea and tries to stay sane by writing down the crazy stories in her head.
This entry was posted in General Mess, Writing Tips and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Help for Writing Goals

1. julie farrar says:

Thanks for doing all the hard work. Maybe it will make my WANA112 work easier.

2. Elena Aitken says:

Trish, don’t be so hard on yourself. You’ve come a LONG way with this story and with all your writing. Ahem…I believe someone has signed up for a very important class…
    Also, this story is going to be amazing! And I believe that because of all the hard work, sweat and possibly tears you are putting into it.
    Don’t let the fact that you did or did not achieve what you thought you should for 2011 get in your way. The best part of a new year is that it’s a fresh start. Go hard, do what you love and follow your heart and you’ll achieve. Every. Time!
    Write on, bitch. ;)

3. I actually didn’t make my goals. They changed. Mine always do. It’s like I decide I want to go to England and mid-way through I go to Vietnam instead. I haven’t written my goals yet. Maybe I should! Thanks for the reminder. And by the way, you’re not giving yourself enough credit!

I’m thinking my goal will be to write. I’ll keep it vague.

5. Sara says:

I always start the year with these huge goals that I forget by February. This year, I’m taking a different strategy – I came up with 3-4 goals (at the moment I can’t remember which). Then I broke them up into smaller bits that are more manageable but still things I have to work up to.
    The other thing – is a group of my writer friends and I started an online group to support each other in our goals. We make weekly goals on Monday, on wednesday we check in to see how our goals are coming along and then on Friday we wrap up our goals and develop a weekend game plan to finish any leftover goals. We hold each others hands and celebrate each other’s successes. I have to say that group has done more for my goals than any other.

• Trish Loye Elliott says:

This is an awesome idea. I have a couple of friend who would probably do this for me. One who I know for sure has her own whip with her initials on it. (EA) Seriously though, thanks for the idea and for stopping by. Good luck with your goals this year!

6. David says:

They way I’ve always figured it, if you succeed at one of your goals for the year, then you’re already further ahead than someone who succeeds at none of them. And I think one of the most important things to look at when making goals is what they are? As in, are some of them conflicting?

For last year my goals were to get myself published, be a great student teacher, and to quit smoking. I’ll let you know that I succeeded at two out of three of these goals. Unfortunately the writing goals was the one that slipped through. But how was I to succeed at that when I was: For two months dealing with ignoring all of the triggers that went into my bad habit (and the consequences of dropping said habit), and then working a 40+hour work week without getting paid. I still felt accomplished, but I completely dropped the ball with my writing goals.

What I’m trying to say is, if we can accomplish any of our goals, we should feel proud, not disappointed that we didn’t complete them all.

• Trish Loye Elliott says:

Wow, those are some fantastic goals you accomplished last year. And you’re completely right about focusing on what we did accomplish rather than on what we didn’t. Thanks for dropping by, David.

7. difish says:

Thanks so much for this post! Very inspiring and you made it easy for me to find some good ideas to get my ideas for this year firmed up. I’m gonna really work to get my writing dreams off the ground by sending something somewhere each month…not just to my Mom who loves it all!

Kristen Lamb’s post reminded me that every step forward is important and that it’s ok to take little steps, so here I go!

• Trish Loye Elliott says:

I’m glad I could help. I think little stepping is a great way to look at goals and life in general. Good luck with the submissions and with the little steps. Happy writing!

8. Author Kristen Lamb says:

Yes, I am waaay behind. Was trolling your blog for mash-up content and saw you had given me a shout-out! THANKS…oh, and I probably saw the pingback and then got distraced by something shiny. Thanks for the support. Y’all ROCK.

9. Author Kristen Lamb says:

…distracted. Ugh. Log day.