Which Literary Character Would You Date?

Since my last few wordbitches posts have been semi-serious in content, I thought I’d lighten things up a bit.

Leading to this were two conversations I had this past week:

• One of my Grade 9 students (who completed NaNoWriMo and now has 80,000 words in her WIP) told me how she’s in love with one of the characters in the series she’s reading. We talked about his characteristics and sighed.
  • My fellow wordbitch, Trish Loye, spoke of a character she adored when we met at the last Easy Writers’ critique session.

So, it’s a day to swoon.

Here are two literary characters that I’d love to date:

Jondalar from Jean Auel’s Earth’s Children series. The man is talented and sensitive and good with in the wild. (If you read the first paragraph of Jondalar’s Wikipedia entry, you’ll know what I mean). I first read Clan of the Cave Bear when I was 18; the image of this man has stayed with me ever since.

Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. Atticus fights for justice, takes every breath with integrity, is incredibly modest, and values education and reading. He embodies compassion.

(As an aside, may I just say that the love interest in Elena’s manuscript is up near the top of my list, too).

Now it’s your turn: which literary character would you like to date?

Image credit: Violette 79

About Leanne Shirtliffe (Ironic Mom)

Leanne Shirtliffe (a.k.a. Ironic Mom) is a humor writer who lives by the motto, "If you can't laugh at yourself, laugh at your kids." She is the author of DON'T LICK THE MINIVAN: Things I Never Thought I'd Say To My Kids, the picture book THE CHANGE YOUR NAME STORE (May 2014), and MOMMYFESTO: We Solemnly Swear...Because We Have Kids (Nov 2014).
This entry was posted in Wordbitches Wonder and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Which Literary Character Would You Date?

1. Violeta says:

Well, I have to be all cliched now, and say: Damon Salvatore from the Vampire Diaries (because he reminds me of an actual guy in my life, so much), and Remus Lupin from Harry Potter. That’s right, the latter has held my interest for many years now. I think he’s the One, lol. Good stuff!

2. Bellymonster says:

Nora Roberts (romance novelist) also writes as J.D. Robb, which is where I “met” Eve Dallas and her husband Roarke. He’s Irish. And a former badass. And rich. But it’s the Irish bit that gets me. I love him.

3. HopefulLeigh says:

I still adore Mr. Darcy after all these years. And Jamie from Outlander makes my heart go aflutter. But there’s something about sweet, steadfast Gilbert from Anne of Green Gables that takes the cake.

I want to date Gregory Peck playing Atticus Finch. Does that count? And I have a thing for Ranger in the Stephanie Plum series. (My son just fell asleep in my bed while I wrote this. Which means I sleep with my son or stay up with him after he wakes up from being moved. Maybe I will take the couch.)

5. Wayne Borean says:

Hell yes – Captain Signy Mallory – captain of the Norway, the hottest starship commander ever.

Wayne

6. Lloyd says:

Morgaine in Marian Zimmer Bradley’s Mists of Avalon. Original Goth girl.

7. limr says:

Even though Jay Gatsby got all the attention, I would much rather have dated Nick Carraway. I prefer the quieter types who don’t hog the spotlight and who are very observant.

I’ve also always been partial to Jane Eyre’s Mr.Rochester – so much so that I actually got angry at Jean Rhys when she recast Rochester into something much more sinister in her Wide Sargasso Sea. In my defense, I’m usually a bit suspect of revisionist literature anyway, even when it doesn’t involve a crush on a fictional character ;)

8. I always liked Ray Kinsella from Shoeless Joe. He is a down-to-earth guy. He isn’t afraid of getting his hands dirty. He loves the land. His wife, his daughter. Baseball. He is fierce but gentle. He is romantic, but rugged. He liked getting caught in thunderstorms.

That said, if my husband said he “heard voices” and that he needed to go on a major trip to every baseball stadium in America, um… I think it is unlikely that I would have been as understanding as Annie. But I am pretty sure that Ray was great in the sack, so… ;-)

9. REscarcega says:

Since I’ve been influenced more by movies than literature, I’d have to say Beatrix Kiddo, primarily known as “The Bride” from the Kill Bill movies. She possessed great strength and determination in acting out her revenge against her former lover and the father of her little girl (whom she’s later reunited with).

Plus Uma Thurman has always been my # 1 ultimate woman. :)

10. As most of my reading was Stephen King, Dean Koontz, or my mother’s romance novels in my youth, I always loved Matt Farrell in Judith McNaught’s Paradise book.

Oh wait, you said date, not mate….

Um… That’s harder. I always hated dating.

I’d need a character who could cook or take me out for steak dinners followed by dancing… and my brain is coming up blank. Movie characters on the other hand…

11. Not sure what this says about me, but I’d date Owen Meany from A Prayer for Owen Meany/John Irving. Sure, he was short and flawed, but so am I.

I’d also date Rory from The Ninth Wife — I’m a sucker for a man with an accent, and, despite being hitched eight times, he’s a romantic.

12. wosushi says:

Knightley from Jane Austen’s Emma. Something about a gentlemen…*swoon*

And Richard from the Legend of the Seeker series. I am sure there are many others, but for some reason, those two stand out.

13. I have two dirty little secrets that I don’t tell very many people (so by all means, I should post them on the internet). One is I like opera. The other is I read everything Laurell K Hamilton writes. My answer: Jean-Claude, Master Vampire from the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton, with Anita herself being a close second.

14. Jess Witkins says:

I’m shocked. Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy didn’t make your list?!

Tough question, I guess I’d have to go with Gilbert Blythe from Anne of Green Gables and Father De Bricassart from The Thorn Birds. Nice combination of total good guy and total guy you can’t have. LOL.

15. Julie Glover says:

Aragorn from the Lord of the Rings, of course. And I know it sounds weird, but I think it would be interesting to date Sherlock Holmes. I also like Radcliffe Emerson from the Amelia Peabody series (by Elizabeth Peters) – he’s intellectual and masculine and not threatened by a strong, smart woman.

16. Piper Bayard says:

Jondalar totally rocks. I would go for the Count of Monte Cristo, too, though. A man of mystery and class. And Aragorn or Legolas, either one. And all 13 of the warriors in The 13th Warrior. It’s not a book, but it was based on a book, so that counts, right? Thanks for the pleasant thoughts this has given me. :)

17. catierhodes says:

I would have gone out with Jace Hammond from Rachel Vincent’s The Shifters series.

Now, if I could go out with Ian Somerhalder, I’d pick Damon from The Vampire Diaries. The way his character was described in the books didn’t appeal as much to me, though.

18. Bookish Miss says:

Jamie Fraser is a definite contender, but I think I’d rather have his nephew Ian Murray. There’s just something about a guy in a kilt, right ladies?

Gilbert Blythe is another possibility, or maybe Nick Carraway. Maybe.

But the one that tops my list? Rhett Butler. If, y’all understand, he could be torn away from Scarlett …

19. HSDavy says:

Samwise Gamgee. I know he’s about 3 quarters my size so we’d look a little odd together but still…he did kind of save the world!

20. Katarina says:

Caine Soren from the GONE Series. Part of me wants to hate him, but I can’t because I love him so much. He’s a sick, power hungry egomaniac, but I love him so much.